There is a growing array of private and public gender lens fixed income (GLFI) funds and products. Our coverage universe includes U.S. and emerging markets funds, private financial institution bond issues, DFI-backed bonds, DFI-issued bonds, U.S. notes and certificates, and a lending platform. A global emerging markets fund is pending launch. As of December 31, total AUM of gender lens fixed income funds and vehicles was US$8.0 billion.
GLFI AUM Invested by Country and/or Region
The map below shows the countries where assets are invested through gender lens fixed income vehicles. Hover over a country to see the total AUM invested (in USD million) and the percentage of total GLFI investment as of December 31, 2022. The country-specific investments on this map total US$3.3 billion.
In addition to country-specific investments, there are gender lens fixed income instruments targeted at enterprises and efforts across regions.
|Region||AUM (in US$ millions)|
|Emerging Markets: Latin America||$ 121|
|Emerging Markets: Asia||$2,916|
Use of Proceeds
The proceeds from gender lens fixed income funds and vehicles are used for a range of women-focused financing needs, including to:
- Advance the goals of SDG 5
- Finance WOEs in Latin America, South Asia, SE Asia.
- Finance companies with higher levels of WIL.
- Finance WEP signatories and companies included in Equileap’s annual ranking.
- Invest in fossil-free bonds with a gender lens.
- Provide housing financing for women: U.S., Latin America.
- Fund women-led rural businesses in Mexico.
- Expand loans to women in Mexico without raising rates.
- Direct funds to women’s health initiatives and projects.
- Address the uneven impact of COVID-19 on women.
- Provide loan capital to women of color who own small businesses in the U.S.
- Invest in Nigerian companies with a female CEO.
- Provide access to clean, renewable energy to women in developing economies.
- Finance childcare providers in the U.S.
- Increase access to loans for U.S. women-led small businesses.
- Finance small and medium women owned businesses in Canada.
- Provide housing financing for women in Kazakhstan, particularly in rural areas.
- Provide loans to women-owned microenterprises in Colombia.
GLFI AUM by Vehicle Type
The table below summarizes the AUM by investor type for each type of gender lens fixed income vehicles with publicly disclosed data.
Parallelle Finance Gender Lens Fixed Income Dataset
The Parallelle Finance GLFI dataset is available by paid subscription. This comprehensive dataset includes detailed information on the bond funds, notes and certificates, lending platforms, and gender bonds in our coverage universe. Applicable data points on each instrument include: vehicle type, name, objective, inception/issue date, currency, AUM in currency of issue and USD, maturity, term, minimum investment, expense ratio, rate, coupon, oversubscription, framework, and available structure details. The data set also includes sustainable bonds with a gender lens.
Learn more about gender lens investing at Gender Lens Investing: What, Why, How?
The above publicly-available content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.